PUNCH ME: PART THREE



It hurt like hell, and my head pounded. He stood there looking at my face.

Perfect.

“I bet you get a black eye.”

“Feels like it,” I assured him.

“I want another hit.”

I gave him another five. I tried not to smile.

He hit in the same eye with more confidence. My head twisted to the right this time. For a little nerdy guy, he had a good punch. He was about one hundred times better than the boys on the basketball court.

He inspected my eye.

“I think it’s starting to bruise.”

I touched it with my hand. It felt like it was starting to swell up.

“I want another hit.”

I gave him another five dollars. This time, he twisted his whole body around so that he could put as much force as possible behind his punch.

This time, I stumbled and almost lost my footing. The vision in my left eye was blurry now.

The boy was hyperventilating. I could tell he enjoyed it. He picked up his book and ran back around the building.

It's only the beginning.

"I know," I whispered.

I counted the money in my wallet. I had twenty-five dollars left.

Five more hits. I got lucky with the book kid. Hopefully, I could find more like him.

Thankfully, in just a couple of minutes, he was back with two other boys.

Perfect.

One of the boys was older—stronger and taller than I was.

Remind them.

"Hard as you want," I told him.

He didn’t even ask. He held out his hand, and I gave him the five dollars. He hit me so hard, in my left cheek this time, that I fell to the ground.

The three of them stood around me and waited patiently as I slowly got to my feet. As soon as I stood up, the other boy held out his hand, and I gave him five dollars.

He punched me straight in the nose, and my head flew back against the wall. I felt blood pour from my nose. I thought maybe he broke it.

The boy book boy held out his hand.

I gave him five dollars.

This time, he punched me square in the mouth, cutting my lip.
He held out his hand again.

I gave him five more dollars.

As he had earlier, his whole body moved as he gave me another punch in the eye.

The older kid stepped forward and held out his hand.

I gave him my last five dollars.

Without a moment’s hesitation, he punched me in the mouth, too.

I felt blood splatter across my face.

I rested my hands on my thighs and tried to catch my breath.
The third boy held out his hand.

“I have no more money.”

Tell them you'll pay them tomorrow.

Before I had a chance to say anything, he smacked me on the right side of my face, and I fell to the ground.

It's only the beginning.


Comments

Popular Posts